How can I register to fundraise?
- Start by completing the sign-up form.
- Read and agree to Orygen’s Community Fundraising Terms and Conditions and Waiver.
- Once completed, you will have your own personal fundraising page. Now you can begin fundraising!
- If you are undertaking any activity in addition to collecting donations online, Orygen will need to first provide you with a letter of Authority to Fundraise. You can request one here.
- To issue your Authority to Fundraise we need to first assess that your proposed activity meets Orygen guidelines, terms and conditions.
- Orgyen supporter care will be in contact to discuss your fundraiser with you. You can also submit a query here or call us on 1800 ORYGEN if you would like to chat through your fundraising event before registering.
Where does the money I raise go?
The funds you raise will go towards vital mental health research, clinical care, policy development and advocacy that will help young Australians recover from mental health challenges.
Mental ill-health is the number one threat to young lives and futures. Large-scale surveys have shown a dramatic rise in the level of psychological distress and depression among young people over the past 10 years. More than 75 per cent of all mental illnesses emerge by the age of 25, during a time when many young people are transitioning through school and university and into the workplace. This can have a significant impact on their health, social connections, and education and employment outcomes for the rest of their lives.
By raising money for Orygen, you can help us address this growing problem.
- You could help fund initiatives such as our youth-specific suicide prevention program, which is the largest in Australia.
- Your support can lead to outcomes like our Moderated Online Social Therapy (MOST) platform, which provides young people with access to tailored online therapy and clinician and peer support when and where they need it.
- You can help ensure that early intervention programs like the one we developed for psychosis and other disorders continue to evolve and innovate to meet the changing needs of young Australians.
By fundraising for Orygen, you are joining the revolution in youth mental health and helping to ensure all young people have the service and support they need to recover and reach their full potential.
How do I raise funds?
The golden rule of fundraising is: if you don’t ask, you won’t get. So, the key to getting dollars in the bank is to make sure you are actually asking people to support you! We understand it’s not always easy to ask others for money, so we have compiled loads of fundraising tips and tricks you can check out here. Once you get going, it becomes easier and easier, so the best thing to do is start today. Have you considered donating to your own challenge to kick things off and show people how it’s done?
Should I set a fundraising goal?
A fundraising goal helps give you something to aim for. It also shows your friends and family you’re serious about the cause.
If you’re worried about reaching your goal, check out our fundraising tips and tricks.
How do I bank the money I raise?
Encourage people to make their donation online via your fundraising page. It's quick, easy and we'll email a receipt to your donor straight away. Donations over $2 are tax deductible.
If people give you cash or cheques, there is an easy way to pay-in the funds and issue a receipt.
Log in to your fundraising portal and click on the "My Donations" button.
Click the "Add Offline Donation" option. Complete your donor's information and proceed with paying-in the funds using your credit card or PayPal. We'll email the receipt directly to your donor.
Alternatively, if you need to deposit funds directly to Orygen, please contact us.
Can I run a raffle or a prize draw for my fundraising?
You can run a small raffle or trade promotion in aid of Orygen but the rules can be complicated and vary from state to state. It depends on how valuable the prizes are and whether you are selling tickets or giving a free ticket in return for a donation. You’ll need to check with your local state government’s lotteries and gaming department. Click here to find yours.
Please be sure to follow Orygen’s Community Fundraising Guidelines . If you need help, you can always call us on 1800 ORYGEN.
What insurance do I need for my event?
Orygen’s public liability coverage cannot cover your activity.
If you are hosting an event where there may be a need for public liability insurance please make sure you understand your responsibilities as the event organiser and have appropriate coverage in place.
Please check Orygen’s Community Fundraising Guidelines for more information.
Tax-deductible and non-tax-deductible receipts
Orygen holds Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR status). Donations of more than $2 made directly to Orygen are eligible for a tax-deductible receipt.
Tax-deductible receipts can be issued by Orygen when donations are made on a purely voluntary basis with no conditions or benefits received in return.
Tax-deductible receipts are not issued when a payment results in the receipt of a good or service or the donation is not deemed to be unconditional; such as for sponsorship, purchasing raffle tickets, entry fees or auction items.
Everyone who donates to your online fundraising page is automatically issued with a tax-deductible receipt via email.
You can request tax-deductible receipts for any donor who provides a cash donation to you. You'll need to forward the full amount to Orygen and provide the donor's details.
Alternatively, you can remit the full donation amount in the donor’s full name through your fundraising page - ensuring you enter their email address for the receipt.
Donors are required by the Australian Taxation Office to substantiate tax deductions with a receipt from a DGR status organisation such as Orygen.
If unsure, please contact Orygen to ask whether we can issue a tax-deductible receipt.
For more information on tax-deductible receipts visit the Australian Taxation Office website.